It is the primary duty of an orthopedic surgeon to help in restoring all the functions that are performed by your skeletal system. The most popular types of orthopedic surgeries include hip replacement surgery and a hand surgery that aids in releasing tendons for the CTS (Carpal Tunnel Syndrome).
The skills and experience required for an orthopedic surgery is very extensive and therefore, it is important to carefully select orthopedic instruments. The different types of surgeries require a wide range of instruments. Therefore, surgeons prefer extensive instruments, such as power tools to perform surgery with more accuracy and on a faster pace.
What Are Orthopedic Power Instruments
Basically, orthopedic power instruments are devices that are operated through electricity. Surgeons use these instruments to drill holes through the bones for the purpose of fixing implants during orthopedic surgeries. One of the most famous categories of orthopedic power instruments is bone instruments. Generally, these tools are used when the patient’s bone needs to cut through or has to be removed. The ball joints that are present in our body from our hip or limb require the use of such tools. For instance, Gigli saw is a powerful instrument which is a long wire that comprises of teeth on it, attached to its handle.
Some other orthopedic power instruments that are required to perform back surgeries include devices, such as rongeur. This tool aids in biting away at the smaller bones so that the surgeon can install screws, pins and plates which are done with the help of an automatic drill.
Benefits of Power Instruments
No doubt, the initiation of power instruments has modernized orthopedic surgery. Here is a list of some of the major benefits of power instruments for orthopedic surgeries.
- These tools help a surgeon to perform surgery precisely and efficiently.
- These instruments can be used in almost every aspect of orthopedic surgery, ranging from the use of reaming and drilling in long bone fractures using intramedullary nails and screws to abundantly use in wound management.
- Power tools are easy to use as well as light weight. They are easier to manage and are more uniform with their performance. These qualities have made these tools suitable for both staff and surgeons.
Orthopedic Power Instruments Market Segmentation
Following is the list of types in which orthopedic power instruments are segmented in the global market.
- Orthopedic Reamers
- Orthopedic Power Instruments for Large Bones
- Orthopedic Power Instruments for Small Bones
- High-Speed Orthopedic Power Instruments
With respect to the types of technology, orthopedic power instruments are further segmented into the following.
- Power Instruments that are operated on batteries
- Pneumatic-Powered Systems
- Electric-Powered Systems
Future Outlook of Power Tools Market: Restraints and Drivers
Today, orthopedic power instruments are driven by the advancement in technology, increase in aging population all over the world, rise in competition among businesses to innovate. Supply standardization of operating room and increasing volume of orthopedic procedures. However, reimbursement policies, cost-containment pressures and hospital consolidation serve as an obstacle for this market.